Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Slow Cooked Pork Belly Risotto

After all of the festivities and a rushed start to work I was looking forward to getting back to my flat, my kitchen and some slow cooking.

I wanted comfort and goodness.For me, most meats are delicious when cooked slowly until it melts in the mouth, wanting something kind to the purse I immediately turned to pork belly. But I was also craving some weekend luxury; I remembered reading a while back about pork belly risotto, a risotto with good ingredients always makes me feel a little indulgent so, I decided to try and make my own. I was more than delighted  with the results, so here it is, my Low Fodmap Slow Cooked Pork Belly Risotto. I chose to braise my belly of pork rather than roast, as I wanted a really moist sweet shredded meat. But I will definitely be trying smoky roast pork belly in the future.


For the Pork:
2tbsp Rapeseed Oil
Pork Belly
3 Carrots
4 sticks of celery
800ml Vegetable Stock
500ml White Wine

For the Risotto:
1 tbsp butter
300g Risotto Rice
3/4tsp Asafoetida
1tsp Garlic Granules
125ml White Wine
1 1/2tsp finely grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius/300 degrees Fahrenheit/Gas mark 2.
You need a large casserole/pot with a lid that can be placed on the hob and placed in oven.
Roughly chop the carrots and celery.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil (I use rapeseed) in the casserole, then seal the pork belly on all sides until it is turning golden brown.
Remove the pork.
Add carrots and celery to the casserole, fry in the oil for about 2 mins until the veg is softened and the celery is becoming translucent.
Place the pork belly on top of the veg.
Add the stock and wine, this should just cover the pork belly and no more.
Braise in oven for 2hrs.
Remove the pork belly from the liquid and place on a plate to rest for 10-15mins.
Meanwhile place the pork liquid and veg into a blender and blitz until smooth, this will  give you between 1 - 1.5l of stock.
After resting the pork meat will fall away from the fat, using two forks shred the meat, until you are left with a plate of delicious, melting pork ready for your risotto.
Now get your pan ready for your risotto.
In a large bottomed shallow pan, melt the butter, add the asafoetida and the garlic granules (by all means you can add real garlic here, would be 3 cloves, but I find granules easier on the tummy). Just as the spices are turning golden, add the rice.
Fry the rice for 2-3 mins until completely coated and is beginning to turn transparent. Then add the wine.
Let it bubble away until all of the wine has evaporated.
Then begin adding the blended stock ladle by ladle, letting each ladleful be absorbed before adding the next.
Keep stirring the risotto in between adding stock, this is what nudges the starch out of the risotto rice and creates that lovely dreamy creamy risotto texture.
The risotto is ready when the rice is cooked but still has a little bite, and the risotto is not soup like but a cosy loose texture.
Before the last ladleful of stock add the shredded pork mixing in well.
After the last ladleful of stock has been absorbed add the Parmesan, stirring until well mixed and the risotto has a smooth velveteen feeling.
Lastly, add a knob of butter to gloss the risotto (optional, but I like the thickness the butter adds right at the end).
And Serve.



I added some peppery rocket leaves on top for a little green crunch.


This recipe does take time, but the majority of it is the pork cooking in the oven. What better way to spend a late Saturday afternoon, than with a glass of wine, pork braising in the oven knowing that within a few hours it will be turned into an delicious Saturday night supper. And trust me the time is definitely worth it.

Will feed 3-4 adults depending on appetites.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I love slow-cooked belly of pork. It takes time but it is always worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I love filling the kitchen with the smell. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete